Friday, September 12, 2008

Podcasting put me to sleep

I was listening to Uncontrolled Vocabulary with its monotone narrator who sounded as bored with his topics as I was. They talked about the director of the Hartford Public Library retiring. She is 74 years old. Apparently there was some kind of security issues that may or may not have been the reason for her planned retirement. Then they discussed the Joy of Sex book being banned at the Nampa Library, but the board reversed their decision when the ACLU got involved. I finally gave up when they went on and on about the lawsuit between J.K. Rowling and the lexicon that contained' "no original commentary." I hope I find some interesting podcasts, but this was not one of them.

Just a side note...I missed church Sunday because I worked. When I got home and checked my email, there was a message from my pastor that this sermon series was too important to miss- so he sent an attachment of the complete video "vodcast?" of his message. After I listened to it, I mentioned to my husband how "out there" that was. He said, " Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you there was an automated message on the answering machine from our pastor saying you needed to go to church this Sunday." Boy, even Denise would be impressed with their marketing- "as mission" staff!

1 comment:

Greg Schwartz said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks for checking out the show and for your honest criticism. I've been called a lot of things, but I think monotone is a first. Adding it to the list. For what it's worth, I was in the midst of a fairly substantial allergy attack that was making it pretty difficult for me to talk at all.

Interestingly, you didn't actually make it to any of the new content. All three of those stories were follow-ups on stories we'd talked about in previous shows. In fact, we'd talked about the Hartford story at least three times previously. Same with the Nampa Joy of Sex story. I was indeed excited to see those stories reach some form of closure, as we've beaten them to death.

Anyway, I do hope you find what you're looking for out of podcast content and in no way should you settle for things that don't excite you.

Cheers,
Greg Schwartz