Friday, May 23, 2008

A Funny Flower


One of my favorite gifts was a notebook/calendar from my friend, Marcie. She knows that I love gardening and art. The notebook was based on Monet's garden and it was designed to record my memories of the garden each month. I saved lots of pictures of my favorite flowers in the pockets of the book.

I think that this blog will be my new memory keeper for this year's garden.

The very first special discovery this spring happened very early on a cold morning. I was just about to go to work, but I decided to cut some daffodils for a small vase. I love daffodils and have about a half dozen varieties. One in particular is a creamy white with a trumpet center. One of the flowers that I was about to cut looked deformed. So, I looked more closely at it. To my surprise, a white butterfly was sleeping inside the flower. I couldn't disturb her, so I left that flower uncut. It has been such a cold and wet spring that it was wonderful to find such a pleasant surprise and a great way to start my day.

Yesterday I had another surprise. I spotted a bright, big ball of purple floating two feet off the ground. It was that crazy allium that Gary planted a few years ago. It is such an odd plant. I just pops up almost overnight and then when it is done blooming, it just seems to disappear. I will have to try to take a picture of it for my blog. It is such a funny plant. I just remembered that Martha Stewart dedicated one of the covers of her Living magazine to alliums last year. I will have to find that issue and read up on them.

No comments: