Thursday, May 29, 2008

Iris sighting!







When we sold the home that I grew up in, my mother gave me the rhizomes of some amazing bearded iris. They were beautiful purple and white flowers. They have been in one of the flower beds in the front of the house for years now, but last year they did not bloom at all. When I checked the rhizomes, they were dried out and dead. So, I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the plants sending up leaves and flowers this year. I am reading up on how to propagate these plants in one of my favorite gardening books, Perennial All Stars. In about six weeks I will need to remember to dig up the entire bed and "refresh" them, but it will be worth it. They are a real treasure to me. I used to always make an arrangement for my mother and she loved them.

No comments: